Adult health is important, and as we age we should be more vigilant in monitoring our personal well-being. Women’s health issues often differ greatly from men’s. Breast and cervical cancer, pregnancy issues, and things like menopause are all health issues that affect women in significant ways. Understanding the different aspects of women’s bodies and how to stay healthy is important to making sure that we live longer, healthier lives.
Body Image/Eating Disorders
- Eating Disorders and Body Image – This article discusses how eating disorders are often a result from obsession with body image.
- Eating Disorders and Minorities – An interesting look at how eating disorders also affect minority women.
- Body Image on Television – Learn more about how television portrays women in a different way that can have a negative impact on body image.
- Treatment and Recovery – Find out how young women can get the help they need for eating disorders.
- Anorexia Nervosa – Learn more about one of the most common eating disorders that affect women.
- BreastCancer.org – A website dedicated to educating women about breast cancer, prevention, and treatment.
- National Cancer Institute – NCI offers helpful information about breast cancer.
- National Breast Cancer Foundation – This group helps to raise awareness for people about breast cancer and how to fight it.
- From the CDC – The Centers for Disease Control discusses the many aspects of breast cancer.
- Essential Information – Information everyone should know about breast cancer.
- Breastfeeding Topics – This site has an array of topics related to the issue of breastfeeding.
- From the WHO – Some facts about breastfeeding from the World Health Organization.
- Breastfeeding vs Formula – This page has insight about the differences between breastfeeding and formula feeding newborns.
- Feeding Baby – More discussion about feeding children through breastfeeding.
Heart Health & Stroke
- Women Heart – Website for the National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease.
- The Heart Truth – Learn more about heart disease in women through this educational campaign.
- Go Red for Women – The home page for the American Heart Association’s section for women.
- Are You at Risk? – Take this quiz to determine your current potential risk for heart disease.
- Women and Stroke – Learn more about the unique symptoms women have when they are having a potential stroke.
- Heart Attack & Stroke Prevention in Women – Discover what women can do to prevent heart attack and stroke.
HIV/AIDS & Sexual Health
- Women, HIV, and AIDS – Very important information pertaining to women and STD’s.
- Fact Sheets – These fact sheets provide statistics of women with HIV or AIDS and the trends that have changed over the years.
- Women and HIV – Something all women should know about HIV, from the FDA.
- ISSWHS – The International Society for the Study of Women’s Sexual Health focuses on healthier living for women of all ages and backgrounds.
- Women and STDs – This page discusses sexually transmitted diseases and how they affect women.
- Planned Parenthood – This national organization focuses on women’s sexual health and reproductive issues.
- NAMS – The North American Menopause Society helps to education and inform women about the issue of menopause.
- Management of Menopause – This web page explains what menopause is as well as symptoms women may experience.
- Definition – An easy to understand definition of menopause as well as treatments and more.
- Depression During Menopause – Many women may experience depression while going through menopause; find out more here.
- Menopause & Health – Find out how your doctor can assist you when going through the menopausal stages.
- NOF – The National Osteoporosis Foundation provides helpful education and information for women.
- Fact Sheet – This fact sheet answers many questions women might have about osteoporosis.
- About Osteoporosis – Definition, symptoms, treatment and more of osteoporosis.
- Causes, Treatment, and More – An excellent resource full of information about osteoporosis and calcium.
- Prevention – This page discusses how to prevent osteoporosis through diet and lifestyle.
- Bone Builders – Some good information about how to recognize and prevent osteoporosis.
- Have a Healthy Pregnancy – Some things women can do to ensure they have a safe and healthy pregnancy.
- Healthy Pregnancy Fact Sheet – More information on what women can do to ensure a healthy pregnancy.
- Your Due Date – Use this calculator to help you determine your potential due date.
- Stages of Pregnancy – Read about the various stages of pregnancy in women.
Screening Tests & Vaccines
- Screening Guidelines – This page describes the screenings women should have at different stages of life.
- Recommended Screening – A helpful chart that lays out the different types of tests and screenings women need to stay healthy.
- Stay Healthy at Any Age – Some of the basic tests that women need throughout their lives to stay healthy.
- HPV Vaccine – Questions and Answers about the HPV vaccine for women.
- Herpes Vaccine – This article discusses how a herpes vaccine can help teenage girls.
- Mammogram – Learn about the test for women designed to help detect breast cancer.
Violence Against Women
- Violence Against Women – Violence against women is a real human rights issue; find out more here.
- OVW – Governmental website for the Office of Violence Against Women.
- VAWnet.org -This site provides an excellent resource for women or those who know women experiencing any type of violence in their lives.
- News and Highlights – Find out about the latest from the UN in regards to what is being done about violence against women all over the globe.
- StopVAW – This organization strives to make sure violence against women is stopped worldwide.