The human body is one of the most complex systems of flesh, bone, tissue and vital organs. One of the most important parts of the body is the one that controls all other functions of the body – the brain. The brain is important because all of the decision-making of the body goes through the brain. However, when damaged, the functionality of the brain can be effected.
In recent years, the medical profession has made great strides in identifying problems related to brain injuries. It was only five or ten years ago when if someone hit their head, they were allowed to continue playing a sport or activity after only a few minutes. With more research, the medical industry is finding that blows to the head are causing the brain to swell, and that it needs a substantial amount of time to return to normal. The severity and reoccurrence of the head blows can have an impact on whether the person has a headache, concussion or are suffering from a Traumatic Brain Injury. Depending upon what they have can have an effect on the complications and long-term prognosis.
Researcher have drawn conclusions that trauma to the head can lead to complications such as headaches, memory loss, mood alterations and more. Due to the fact that the brain is hidden, injuries to the brain have been overlooked for years. However, with advances in understanding how brain injuries can affect people, a greater emphasis has been placed on injuries to the brain, and more research will lead to greater understanding in the future.
- Concussion Definition – information and definition of the injury of the brain from Medline Plus.
- Concussion Prevention and Recognition – CDC information on concussions including how to prevent and how to recognize the symptoms of a concussion.
- Sports Related Concussions – overview of the problem of concussions related to sports.
- Sports Concussions – useful information on the problems of sports concussions and how to treat them.
- High School Concussions – helpful information about the increasing problems of high school athletes sustaining concussions.
- Concussion Education – informative site with reference material for people wanting to learn about concussions.
- Concussion Fact Sheet – information for parents proving them with data on concussion awareness.
Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injury Resources – useful site containing information and resources on Traumatic Brain Injuries.
- TBI Information – definition and information on what a TBI is and how it affects the brain.
- Traumatic Brain Injury – general overview of the cause and effect of a TBI on the human brain.
- TBI Information Page – government information page talking about the dangers of TBI’s.
- TBI Programs – information on programs that are available to help people with TBI’s.
- Information on TBI’s – informative site providing an overview of what causes a Traumatic Brain Injury and the results.
Other Head Injuries
- Brain Injury Association – association covering people affected by injuries to the brain.
- Brain Trauma – organization which deals with issues pertaining to injuries to the head.
- Brain Injury Task Force – government task force which has been organized to look into the problem of brain injuries.
- Motorcycle Injuries – article providing information on head injuries resulting from motorcycle crashes.
- Head and Brain Injuries – informative resource outlining the problems of head and brain injuries.
- Head Injury Guidelines – overview of the medical guidelines that needs to be followed when treating head injuries.
Head Injury Resources
- Brain Injury Resources – listing of publications and online resources for information on brain injuries.
- Resource Network - statewide network of information and resources for brain injuries.
- Brain Trauma Education and Resources – resourceful site providing information on brain trauma.
- TBI Resources – useful information and resources to help learn more about Traumatic Brain Injuries.
- Concussion Info and Resources – helpful website providing information on concussions in sports.